First of all let me explain a bit about this tag in case you don’t know about it. It’s a tag created by Samantha from Toughts on Tomes and Lainey from Ginger Reads Lainey and is a weekly book meme were a topic or theme is chosen and each week you have to choose five books/series/tvshows that fit the description. If you want to check it out here’s the Goodreads group.
This week is all about series that took the wrong turn and got worse and worse with every passing book/season. I actually had a hard time thinking about series that took the wrong turn and ended up being worse or in some cases awful. I’ve read mostly book trilogies and series but they usually end up being better or at least they fluctuate they don’t strictly go down.
Being that the case, for this week I decided to add some actual tv-shows to the list (most based on books).
1. The 5th Wave [4.5* > 4* > 3.75*]: I got to this trilogy this past year, after watching the movie and loving it! The fact that Chloe Grace Moretz was the protagonist helped a lot, because I really like this young woman. Well the series started really good, I loved the first book, the characters (well Zombie not so much but the rest of them I liked!), the plot with all of the twist and turns and Evan!! But, as I proceeded to binge read the trilogy I found myself with a lot of *WTF faces* and nothing much happening and just getting bored and wanting the whole thing to end… I didn’t properly reviewed this trilogy but still, my last thought or sensation as I finished the trilogy was a big MEH. Here’s the rating I gave the books (being a bit generous maybe).
2. Fifty Shades of Grey [4* > 3* > 2*]: Don’t judge here, I went with the flow and I read these when all of the buzz was on high alert! I was curious about reading some twilight fanfic, because let’s not forget this was nothing but sweetened fanfic. It turns out I apparently liked the first book quite a bit (I don’t remember much) but from then everything got so twisted and not in a good way that I ended up giving one of my worst if not my worst rating ever to the last book. I guess I’ve grown up a bit since then, because now when I see those books, ones that I actually own, I don’t feel like reading them again or even displaying them… they were a good read for that time, but that’s done. I haven’t read the book in Christian’s POV and I don’t plan on reading it either. I’ve watched the movie, once, and never again. And let me tell you I usually repeat all of the movies I watch even the ones I don’t particularly love, I just love to rewatch movies to pay attention to different aspects of it.
3. The Vampire Diaries: What can I say about this never-ending series, both book and tv-show series… just never-ending, stretched for too damn long! First I’ll confess I read the books years ago, before the tv-show started and after Twilight, because that left me needing more vampires in my life so I ended up picking this series and The Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris. I don’t remember much about the books, only that they were different from the show and not only the characters and its descriptions but actually a lot of the plot and surroundings. I read The Vampire Diaries‘ first four books and then The Return’s first two books, so I left the series incompleted but I no longer care, by the time I was in the sixth book I didn’t care that much about what happened to the characters I just wanted everything to end!! And the fact that they changed writers didn’t help either. Once the show started I was really invested in it, I needed my vampire doze even if the beginning of this tv series was a bit crappy/vulgar… I was a big fan of the show, I was a loyal fan, even if it failed to convince me, right up until the fifth or sixth season I think (I don’t even remember clearly)., then I just wanted and needed it to end, and I know I wasn’t alone. But this season (which I still haven’t begun to watch) is the last one!! I wouldn’t know to pint point the exact reason for its failure, but they stretched everything too much, killing of loved characters, actors leaving the show… There was just no turning back and I hope they end the whole thing in a good note.
4. Pretty Little Liars: In this case I came to the tv-show not knowing about the books and as the time passed I didn’t want to get into them either because 18 books?? Well, that’s a lot of commitment, more than I am planning on giving to this one, but I did read some parts, the spoilery part because I need to know already and the tv-show was so damn frustrating!! Talking about the show, is still going but this 2016 season is supposed to be the last one if I am not wrong… Well, this has been a guilty pleasure of mine because even though I was enraged with the lack of movement throughout the seasons I still watched it. Last year when we finally learned who A was (according to the tv-show not the books) I decided it was time so stop watching because they already revealed my question from S01E01 and I didn’t care for more, but I ended up giving it another choice just to see the time jump. It’s safe to say than when this season is over I’ll binge watch it but I no longer have expectations for this show, I am over this story.
5. Heroes: Even though this is the last one of my Top 5 this is clearly the most frustrating, saddening and all time catastrophic development of a show I loved!! I am in that big group of people who does not understand what happened with this show, the first season was really good, the second got even better with the introduction of one of the best characters ever Elle (Kristen Bell) but then the government took part in season 3 and everything started to unravel and lastly season 4… or a waste of time. My expectations for this show were so high with super powers and interesting and funny characters?? This was all before all of this Marvel/DC superhero staff so it felt like such a fresh breath of air. Oh and you know that reboot Heroes Reborn?? I sort of watched it… blame it on the nostalgia but no, I understand why they cancelled it and I haven’t even watched the last episodes.
· · ·
[All of the photos in this post have been taken from google images]